Take control of your emotional triggers by increasing your awareness and developing new ways of responding.
Understanding Your Emotional Triggers
- Learn what a trigger is: it’s an experience that draws you back into the past and causes old feelings and behaviors to arise
- Realize we all have triggers and they’re different with each person
- Identify internal causes that interfere with your ability to live in the present moment
- Spot external prompts, like situations or certain people that always “push your buttons”
Managing Your Emotional Triggers
- Keep a journal. Tracking your triggers is often the first step in mastering them.
- Make time to relax. Reducing daily stress makes it easier to handle intense emotions.
- Eat right, sleep well, and exercise regularly
- Take advantage of quiet times to brainstorm new strategies you can use when you’re under pressure
- Know your capacity and proceed at your own pace
- Place yourself in difficult positions. Be open to doing something new and more constructive.
- Develop a strong support network
- Show compassion. Strive to be a little more patient and forgiving and people will be more likely to do the same for you.
- If you’re having trouble making progress on your own, seek professional help
Need urgent advice? Contact us today: